Monday, July 2, 2012

I'm Sleepless in Seattle. Sort of.

Above image from IMDB

Good evening! Good morning and afternoon around parts of the world!

Currently raining here so I have the means of posting my review at my blog. Just want to sleep in my bed now but let's get this going on!

Today's review is the movie, Sleepless in Seattle, starring Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan. This is the second time I'm watching them as a couple on-screen.

Sam Baldwin (Tom Hanks), a Chicago architect, loses his wife Maggie (Carey Lowell) to cancer. He and his son, Jonah (Ross Malinger), moves to Seattle but unfortunately, Sam is still grieving on the lose of his wife.

Jonah in the other hand, cares for his father, calls up in a radio talk show to wish to find another person that will Sam would love. Hundreds of women from around the country is touched by his bitter sweet story and mails flowed to him.

One of those listeners was Annie Reed (Meg Ryan) which was already engaged to Walter (Bill Pullman) but feels a space within their relationship that isn't working. When after watching 'An Affair to Remember', Annie has the guts and writes to Sam that they should both see each other on top of the Empire State Building in Valentine's Day.

Things got a little bit funny when Sam begins dating Victoria (Barbara Garrick). But Jonah doesn't like her and is enraged by the actions of his dad. While dropping Victoria off at the airport, Sam sees Annie exiting from her plane though he has no idea who she was.

Annie thought Suzy (Rita Wilson) to be Sam's girlfriend and steps back to say "hello" back at him and flies back to New York to meet Walter in Valentine's Day.

Jonah flies to New York without the permission of Sam, while Sam worried where Jonah did go and only to find out he went to New York by himself to meet Annie.

Annie seeing from the distance the Empire State Building, couldn't stop her feelings, finally confessed to Walter about her chasing Sam and maybe finding love finally. Walter is fine with it and they both seem to be happy.


At the end, the two meet only to find out, they already had seen each other and felt the connection between them. As the movie ends, they hold out each others hands and three of them go down the elevator.


Here are some funny quotes that really made me smile/laugh:

[Jay is helping Sam get back into the dating scene]
Sam Baldwin: What is "tiramisu"?
Jay: You'll find out.
Sam Baldwin: Well, what is it?
Jay: You'll see!
Sam Baldwin: Some woman is gonna want me to do it to her and I'm not gonna know what it is! 

Sam Baldwin: Didn't you see Fatal Attraction?
Jonah Baldwin: You wouldn't let me!
Sam Baldwin: Well I saw it and it scared the shit out of me! It scared the shit out of every man in America!

Sam Baldwin: So, how's my butt? 

Jonah Baldwin: If you get a new wife, I guess you'll get to have sex with her, huh?
Sam Baldwin: I certainly hope so.
Jonah Baldwin: Will she scratch up your back?
Sam Baldwin: [shocked] What?
Jonah Baldwin: In the movies, women are always scratching up the man's back and screaming and stuff when they're having sex.
Sam Baldwin: How do you know all this?
Jonah Baldwin: Jessica's got cable.
Sam Baldwin: Oh.

Quote that made me almost cry:

Doctor Marcia Fieldstone: People who truly loved once are far more likely to love again. Sam, do you think there's someone out there you could love as much as your wife?
Sam Baldwin: Well, Dr. Marcia Fieldstone, that's hard to imagine.
Doctor Marcia Fieldstone: What are you going to do?
Sam Baldwin: Well, I'm gonna get out of bed every morning... breathe in and out all day long. Then, after a while I won't have to remind myself to get out of bed every morning and breathe in and out... and, then after a while, I won't have to think about how I had it great and perfect for a while.
Doctor Marcia Fieldstone: Tell me what was so special about your wife?
Sam Baldwin: Well, how long is your program? Well, it was a million tiny little things that, when you added them all up, they meant we were supposed to be together... and I knew it. I knew it the very first time I touched her. It was like coming home... only to no home I'd ever known... I was just taking her hand to help her out of a car and I knew. It was like... magic. 

I could say is that some of the lines of Jonah were too mature. I didn't know they allowed children to have those dialogues before but hey, that made an impact. I myself find it really funny. It was cheesy, fun, teary and felt like Christmas.

And hey! Rita Wilson is here too! And the way they acted? Like they weren't even husband and wife! Haha... I felt they were friends or brother/sister only. Just wow.

Overall, I love the movie. Nothing to hate about it, I don't care if the storyline's generic, it's the actors and actresses that make it really great.

~Derrick

PS: This is a tribute to Nora Ephron, who was the one behind the movies, Sleepless in Seattle and You've Got Mail. This two movies made an impact on me and I do hope that people like me would appreciate more. My prayers go to her family. I'm just a stranger but thanks for those movies! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment